International Work Experience
In the second phase you will carry out assignments at three different locations in the Asia Pacific. These assignments are written by the staff in cooperation with stakeholders involved in developments of and at tourist destinations in this region. The Asia Pacific has been selected because of the:
- great familiarity of the staff with the area
- many contacts with businesses, governmental institutions and academies
- familiarity with developments and dynamics
- many variations in culture
- ever changing combinations of Western and Eastern influences
Three different locations in the Asia Pacific region
This fieldwork research project is an important, if not crucial part of the programme. You carry out field research and consultancy assignments at three different locations in the Asia Pacific region. These destinations vary each year. Students visit:
- an area with a typical tourist character (e.g. Bali, Phuket)
- an urban area with tourism development (e.g. Singapore, Brisbane)
- a rural area with existing but limited tourism developments (e.g. Palawan / Phillipines, Da Nang / Vietnam)
Practical team assignments
Through these assignments theoretical insights come together with professional skills in management and research. You will also interact with stakeholders at a professional and managerial level as you work in close cooperation with professional and well-known tourism organisations in this area.
The assignments are based on complex subjects relevant to each destination. Based on an initial briefing document, you conduct research, use theory and international case studies, after which you present your advice to stakeholders. These presentations offer a great opportunity for professional interaction and discussion between students, staff and stakeholder representatives.